Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

God and Stuff.

I grew up Catholic. I went to mass every Sunday for the first 18 years of my life. I went to private Catholic school for the first 3 years and then I went to Monday evening religion classes until confirmation in the 8th grade. Ash Wednesdays I went to church at 6am before school and then walked around with a dirty forehead (until high school where I would rush to the closest bathroom to wash it off). Midnight Mass was just another part of our Christmas Eve.

Somewhere along the line I ended up in a Methodist youth group since all my friends attended. Then in college, as an Anthropology minor I sort of gave up on the whole religion thing, because really, scientifically, it doesn't make sense to me. The simple fact that many religious people believe the Earth is a mere 6000 years old and people lived to be hundreds of years old in biblical times kills me. There is scientific evidence of our Earth's long history and human lifespan is 120 max, and it was even shorter without western medicine.

But I digress....

I have been throwing around the idea of starting to go to mass again every week at the Catholic church in the small town I live in. To me there is something comforting about mass. It's weird I know, but I was recently at a Catholic wedding and I sort of miss being at church. I mean, more than half my life I went every week. It was just a part of things to me back then. I found it so amusing to NOT do anything on Sundays when I first moved out of my parents house, but now, I'm a bit older and I miss it. I like the excuse to wear a dress. Plus having to just sit and be still for 45 minutes of the week would probably not hurt me any.

Am I finding some old faith in a higher power that I lost somewhere along my way? Probably not. Does a lot of me wanting to go back have to do with my Niece (Baby M) needing at least one active Catholic godparent in order to be baptized in the church? A little. But I also feel like that is just giving me a push in the direction I was heading anyways.

I don't know how the Catholic Church will feel about my reasons for returning (I am also VERY curious to see how Catholic mass in a very liberal community I currently live in compares to what I experienced growing up) but isn't the whole Christianity (yeah, Catholics are Christians, just not all Christians are Catholics) thing about being forgiving and loving everyone? At least that is what I always thought....

No comments: